BIO 115 NUMBER 5 TAKE HOME EXAM Cellular metabolism
1. 1 calorie = _______________ joules? Which one of these units is used in the metric system?
2. Define cellular metabolism:
3. Fill in this chart of metabolic terms/phenomena using the terms given
-gives off energy, builds large molecules, endergonic, breaks apart large molecules, uses energy, exergonic
4. This is a molecule of glucose, where in the molecule is its energy stored?
5. In metabolism, what is energetic coupling?
6. What is the energetic advantage of having reactions that are coupled?
7. Draw an ATP molecule and label the adenosine, the ribose sugar and the 3 phosphate groups
8. What role does ADP and ATP play in the typical cell?
9. Where in the ATP molecule is its metabolic energy stored?
10. How does ATP ‘power’ a reaction?
11. What is the difference between cellular respiration and cellular metabolism?
12. This is a summary of cellular respiration:
-describe what is happening here
-also, chemical energy begins locked up in the glucose molecule. List the places the energy travels as it moves through the process. Also, the energy is ultimately use for what purpose?
13. This is a simplified diagram of glucose respiration:
-describe in your own words what is happening.
-the energy of this metabolic process begins in glucose – trace the energy’s path of release through the process
14. Notice that 1/2 through the respiratory process, energy carriers accept and transfer the energy. In what form is this energy that the energy carriers accept and transfer.
15. Also, the energy carriers transfer the energy from point A to point B. What are these 2 points?
16. Are these energy carriers in their oxidized form or reduced form?
-FADH2 – -NAD – -FADH –
17. Below is a summary of glucose respiration:
18. Glucose is first transported into the cytoplasm and first goes through the glycolysis pathway:
-how many carbon atoms are in glucose?
-glucose is converted to _________________ by glycolysis. This resulting molecule(s) have ______ carbons.
-so what does the term glycolysis mean and why is it appropriately named?
19. a. After glycolysis, the resultant 3-carbon pyruvic acid is transported into the mitochondrial matrix. It is converted to ______________________ by the transition reaction.
b. however, under certain conditions, and in mammalian cells, pyruvic acid is converted to______________ under low oxygen conditions.
c. alternatively, in yeast cells, pyruvic acid is converted to _____________ under anaerobic conditions
20. When oxygen is abundant, the product from 19a. above enters into the Citric Acid Cycle (Kreb’s Cycle). Where in the cell does the Citric Acid Cycle occur?
21. Name 3 molecules that are produced by and released from the Citric Acid Cycle. _______________ this one carries electrons
_______________ this one also carries electrons
_______________ This one is a gas
22. Describe the electron transport chain: -its components
-how it works
-how it produces a concentration gradient -what that concentration gradient is used for
23. So, at the end of all of this, how is ATP made?
24. Describe/illustrate the cell cycle. Describe what happens during each phase of this cycle. Also illustrate how mitosis and its phases, along with cytokinesis, fits into the larger cycle.
25. Name the phase of these dividing cells:
26. What is the diploid number of the cell (going through mitosis) below?
27. If a cell had a diploid number of 10 chromosomes and was going through MITOSIS, how many chromatids in total would exist in the cell during:
-in the daughter cells
28. What is the purpose of MITOSIS in an organism?
29. If a cell had a diploid number of 10 chromosomes and was going through MEIOSIS, how many chromatids in total would exist in the cell during:
-a prophase I cell -a metaphase I cell -a prophase II cell -in a daughter cell
30. What is the purpose of MEIOSIS in an organism?
31. What is crossing over and when in a cell cycle does it occur?
32. What are homologous chromosomes?
33. What is separated by MEIOSIS I?
34. What is separated by MEIOSIS II?
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
All ourbpapers are written from scratch. In fact, Clients who ask for paraphrasing services are highly discouraged. We have writers ready to craft any paper from scratch and deliver quality ahead of time.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
Our writers keeps you posted on your papers progress - providing you with paper outline/draft. You are also at liberty to communicate directly with your writer.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time, in many cases quite ahead of time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.